About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

TEXTING WHILE DRIVING....A HARD HABIT TO BREAK!

How many of you still text while you're behind the wheel? It's okay to admit because I'm guilty of it too. The only thing is, I'm good at it! Don't listen to me! I hate it when I'm driving behind a person who is texting while driving because they tend to slow down or they even swerve in and out of their lane. In fact, I recently had to take a defensive driving course (for the U.S. Postal Service, not because I'm a bad driver!), where they tell you that texting while driving now is equivalent to a D.U.I. because it's the cause of just as many accidents as a D.U.I, and now it's becoming the cause of many deaths, as well.

In a recent campaign against texting while driving, a Canadian man, who was texting with his girlfriend (photo above) minutes before she was killed in a car wreck, has recently published their final, heartfelt exchange on Facebook for the world to read.

20-year-old, Emy Brochu died on January 18 after her car slammed into the back of a tractor-trailer in Victoriaville, Quebec. According to her boyfriend, Mathieu Fortin, the two had been texting back and forth before the crash, and he recently posted the private messages to warn drivers "to think twice before texting and driving." I tell Laila all the time not to text me while she is driving because if anything happened to her, there would be hell to pay. Then again, am I a hypocrite for texting while driving myself? I mean, I've mastered the art of texting while driving. It might even stem back to the days when I used to smoke cigarettes and I would train my eyes to stay on the road while I lit my cigarette. Either way, it still should not be done!

In the couple's final message to each other, at around 10:45 a.m., Fortin text Brochu that he loved her, where she replied, "I love you too, and I'll try to make you happy!" Fortin sent back a long string of "x's", as in to send kisses to Brochu. He then wrote, "I have a meeting at 12:30, I would have liked to hear your beautiful voice before, but we'll talk tonight." He never heard from her again. A few hours later, he text her, "Is all well, my heart? I'm a little worried here..."

On the Facebook page where the text exchange was posted, Fortin stated that the police investigation showed that the use of a cell phone while driving was the cause of the accident. He then posed the question, "At what time is a text or email more important than life itself? At what point is something on your cell phone more important than the people that you love?" It sounds here that Fortin is now blaming Brochu for texting him back, but if he knew she was driving, why would he text her to begin with?

I'd hate to go on about this because like I said, I'm guilty of doing this myself, but it really is bad to do. You, like me, might be good at texting while driving, but it takes that "one time" to not be paying attention to the road that can change your life and those around you forever. Without sounding like a public service announcement, please be careful on those roads, and think before you text while driving!

1 comment:

  1. Careful dude, whenever i feel over confident that i have mastered something, god always throws me something my way to knock me back down a few notches....

    ReplyDelete