About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Monday, April 16, 2012

AIN'T OVER UNTIL THE FAT LADY GOES

Art is art; no matter the shape, size or color, right? Well, in this case, its size and shape that's the issue. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen a statue like this before, but I love it! Unfortunately, the owner of the statue is catching some flack from his neighbors because of his decision to place his statue of this obese naked woman outside his home in full view of a pre-school and a church. That's right! This story keeps getting better and better!

Bill Tonnesen, a Tempe, Arizona contractor, said that the robust sculpture was supposed to resemble an ancient artwork known as the Venus of Willendorf. Tonnesen went on to admit, "I love it, and I'm crazy about it!" Tonnesen's neighbors, on the other hand, want the hefty figure to hit the road because it might scare little children away and offend churchgoers. Who cares? If it keeps people away from your property, then it's doing its job like a scarecrow. Besides, why would an obese woman scare a child or offend churchgoers? That's just wrong to think that way! I would be offended that a churchgoer would think that way.

One neighbor said, "I think the placement of it makes it an issue. To have the statue on the side of the street in such open viewing space is a topic of concern." My thoughts on this neighbor's statement? Mind your own business! Mr. Tonnesen is not telling you what you can or can't put on your front yard. Leave the guy alone!

Tonnesen said that the city recently gave him the okay to place the statue wherever he wants, and he wishes his neighbors could just see it as a work of art, and not just a nude woman. That's the thing! Are his neighbors pissed because she's large or because she's naked? Would a nude statue of a Greek goddess make more of a stink in a neighborhood where there was a pre-school and a church nearby? It makes no sense to cause uproar over art.

Tonnesen's neighbors aren't alone in this. Apparently, his wife isn't a fan of the statue's placement either, and has made him cover it with a sheet. He told one news reporter that until he can work something out with his wife, he's going to leave the statue covered. What a crock! I have to agree with some of my friends on Facebook! We've become a nation of crybabies. This is art work at its finest. Why would anyone care what somebody puts on their lawn? Why should he worry that he will offend somebody? The town said he can put it an anywhere he wants, which only means, it's not offensive! I do have to say, though, I'm a little curious to see the woman who modeled for this sculpture!

All next week, I'll be blogging from Buenos Aires, Argentina.....I hope! Maybe I'll have even more disgusting statues to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment