About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Buenos Aires Blog 1

Okay, now that I've settled in and grown accustomed, somewhat, to this South American lifestyle, I'm ready to come home! All kidding aside, I've only been here for a weekend, and already my wallet has taken a hit. To get around down here, our only means of transportation is by way of a Taxi, which is no walk in the park. These guys rip you off worse than any New York City cabbie. The driving down here is absolutely insane to a point where if you take a step into the street while the light is green, you're taking your life into your own hands because these cars, seriously aim for you. So, our only option is a taxi or a subway, which is more confusing than our subway system back home. 

Yesterday, we went to an open air street market in San Tealmo, and we walked away feeling more ripped off than we did when we were in Cancun last September. You try negotiating prices with these people, and they tell you "no" and walk away. Aren't supposed to be the ones saying "no" and walking away, while they beg for our business? Oh well, once again, we spent a fortune buying things from the natives.

Last night, we met some friends of ours, who used to live in the U.S., and while it was great to see them, we had already made plans to see a Tango show at a place called Cafe Tortino, so we asked him and his girlfriend to come a long. When we arrived at the Cafe, they wouldn't allow our friends in because we didn't buy a ticket for them earlier, so unfortunately they chose to wait an hour across the street for us to see this well-publicized Tango Extravaganza. What sham! We paid 100 pesos per person to see a small band on a small stage with 4 Tango dances. Once again, Argentina ripped us off! 

Then it was off to dinner at a restaurant called La Cabana with our friends in tow. Yes, it was 10 pm and we were heading to dinner. That is the standard time that South Americans eat dinner, and for us Northerners, it was a little weird. Well, La Cabana was a steakhouse, and wow! These were some gigantic pieces of meat. I ended up eating a 2 pound piece of prime rib! I was in heaven, but again, my wallet wasn't. Was it worth it? Yes!

Today, we're off to do a Buenos Aires City Tour. I'll be back tomorrow to blog some more of our adventures.

2 comments:

  1. You have to spend the money if you think it was worth it. I mean, maybe the tango show was something yu had seen already, but a night in a restaurant eating the best steak in the world is worth it. I remember I did not know whether to go to a hotel or get a Buenos Aires temporary rent. I pursued the second option because it was a trip I had been planning forever and I wanted to make the most of it. The apartment was gonna make me feel more confortable, so I was not going to resign to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All-In-All, Carla! It was a great trip! And I'm sure we'll be back!

    ReplyDelete