About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Wednesday, December 18, 2013

DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU.....

Have you ever worked a 30-hour day? Probably not. Back in my Z100 days, I remember working a 24-hour day, where I had to work for the morning show, and then write the script for a Top 100 year-end countdown, and then head off to Madison Square Garden in New York City for a night of Jingle Ball. I did this all without the use of coffee or Red Bull and just for the love of radio, which would eventually show me the door in 2009. So much for my love of radio! 

Anyway, a young Indonesian copywriter, who regularly tweeted about her heavy workload, recently died after spending 30 hours straight in the office. 24-year-old, Mita Diran collapsed to the ground and slipped into a coma on Sunday after weeks of little sleep and downing energy drinks just to keep going. Was this girl nuts? If there was one thing that I did learn while working morning radio hours from host Elliot Segal was that our bodies need rest and with the hours we kept, naps were imperative. I remember him saying that his doctor told him that hour bodies need 6 to 8 hours of sleep a night to function correctly. Energy drinks might boost your energy, but they don't replace sleep and a good night's rest. Miss Diran seemed to try to substitute Red Bull for sleep and it seems her body just shut down. She died hours after she collapsed. 


Diran, who worked for the Ogilvy and Mather owned Young and Rubicam ad agency in Jakarta, repeatedly posted updates about her hectic job online. Saturday night, she tweeted, "30 hours of work and still going strooong." She also previously posted on Tumblr, "Tonight, I carry the keys to the office for the eighth day running. I'm still here. I have no life. Someone please take me out for drinks, kicks and giggles."

I think that it was really sad that this young girl, who was probably trying to make a name for herself in the business, could not find a work-life balance. I try to explain to my fiancée, Laila that she needs to find that, as well, because she too is a workaholic. Work is normally a 9 to 5 job. Once you put in your 8 hours, leave and enjoy your life! And to those who use Red Bull as a substitute for sleep, that is what probably killed this poor girl. Diran's father and the company she worked for took to social media pages to show their devastation, but the bottom line is that Diran probably died because she was trying to overachieve. Her father was not to blame and for now, it seems her company did not force her to work those hours. She chose to do it on her own. Take it from someone who knows firsthand, sleep and rest is more important than pushing yourself like this and dying. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment