About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

THE NEW BASEBALL CARDS?

     Okay, first of all, what the hell? Second of all, what happened to the day when you used to buy Topps baseball cards that came with a piece of bubble gum? I'm sure that was a long time ago, as I don't believe Topps releases their baseball cards with gum anymore, which brings me back to my first thought of "what the hell?" 

     So, it looks like the ever popular World Series beards grown by the World Series champion Boston Red Sox (I know, I know; this is the second day in a row that I'm writing about these crappy Red Sox) did not go into a wastebasket. It turns out; they're now inside your baseball card. Take a look at the photo. Gross, right? It actually looks like his pubic hair. 

     Anyway, Topps' Allen and Ginter "Oddity" line is currently carrying 25 Daniel Nava cards (he's their outfielder for those of you who don't know the name.), which include actual strands (or pubic hair) of Nava's playoff beard. Apparently, his was a little bit more clean cut compared to teammates Dustin Pedroia, Jonny Gomes and Mike Napoli. One of these beard filled cards is already on eBay and the latest of 20 bids so far is at $163 and rising. I've been to many card shows and have never seen anything like this. "Oddities" might be the best adjective for this. I mean who would want this? Even if they posted Derek Jeter's used condom, I can't see myself trying to bid on that. People are nuts! Then again, he is retiring this year, so the value of that may go up. I might need to rethink that last statement. 


     The card company's Oddity Relics include some pretty bizarre inserts that don't only come from the world of sports. For instance, some past collections included pieces of the menu from the ill-fated wedding of Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries and a piece of the fence from the grassy knoll where President Kennedy was shot. That is crazy! Where the hell do they get this stuff and why would anyone want it? These inserts seem to be quite the shift from the early days when collectors would get a stick of stale gum (I miss that stale gum!), or more recently, a piece of a jersey or bat. Now, you're getting a piece of the player's DNA. 

     I'm not sure if any other "beard cards" were made for players other than Nava, but I did hear a rumor that Topps will be releasing a line some time this month for a car featuring pieces of scrubs worn by famed sports surgeon, Dr. James Andrews. You name a ballplayer, he fixed them! Either way you want to look at it, the beard in the card is pretty gross. I understand wanting to be close to your idols, but this is a little extreme. So, how about that Derek Jeter used condom baseball card?

No comments:

Post a Comment