About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Monday, July 28, 2014

WOULD YOU GIVE THIS RING BACK?

     Many of you who know me, personally, and even if you read this blog, you'll know that I'm a die-heard Yankees fan since the beginning of time. If you're a baseball lover, you'll also know about the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry that's been going the Yankees got Babe Ruth in a trade from the Red Sox. Well, recently, a Yankee fan found a 2013 Red Sox World Series ring in the bathroom of a New York City eatery and he actually gave it back. I have to be honest, I might've given it back too. No matter how much I disliked the team. I would probably look like the bigger A-Hole for keeping the ring or at least, hocking it. 

     Restaurant owner Luigi Militello couldn't believe his eyes when he found the shiny 2013 championship ring on a restaurant sink at Luke's Bar and Grill on Thursday night. He says that it was the real thing too, with diamonds, sapphires and rubies, set in 14-carat white gold, with the Red Sox emblem, a Boston Strong logo and an image of the team's bearded ballplayers. Militello told the Associated Press, "I was like, geez, it's big. Who would leave this here? I'm a big Yankee fan. What are the chances of this happening?"

     It turns out; the ring belonged to Drew Weber, a New York businessman who also owns the Lowell Spinners-a thriving Red Sox Class-A minor league team in Massachusetts. Weber dined at the restaurant earlier in the evening. Big league teams often reward executives throughout their organization with World Series rings. My friend Betsy has one from when the Yankees beat the Phillies back in 2009. The Red Sox have not put a value on these pieces of jewelry, bit the rings presented for winning the 2004 World Series was worth about $30,000. 

     Weber said that this was the first time he'd worn the ring outside. He says, "I went looking around my apartment and started having palpitations. Sweat was pouring off my forehead. I'm looking at my finger and it's not there." Yeah, I think I might have an anxiety attack too if I lost a ring like that somewhere. Hoping against hope, Weber called Luke's after midnight and Militello answered the phone and relieved Weber telling him he had the ring. Militello said, "But this being Yankees-Red Sox, I started razzing him. I told him he wasn't getting it so easily. I was playing with him a lot." Weber answered, "Who am I dealing with?"

     Weber and Militello quickly put their rooting interests aside, met the next day at the restaurant, the ring was returned to its rightful owner, and the two spent 25 minutes talking baseball. Militello insistently would not accept any cash reward for finding the ring. He did, however, try to persuade Weber to call into a local sports radio show and disparage the Red Sox, but Weber was having none of that. Instead, Weber and the Red Sox have invited Militello to make his first trip to Fenway Park for the regular season finale on September 28, which is also scheduled to be the final game for retiring Yankees superstar Derek Jeter. Now, that it better than any reward and Militello would agree. When he asked Weber if he could wear any of his Yankees paraphernalia, Weber said that he couldn't answer that question. Weber is also making a contribution to a charity of Militello's choice and he chose a charity that helps relief efforts for Superstorm Sandy's damage on Fire Island. 

     I have to admit, even as a Yankee fan, who might not have given back the ring, this was a pretty great story. I might be the A-Hole, but I'd be the A-Hole with a World Series ring on my finger. It would have been Weber's loss for leaving it on the sink. Why would you take off an expensive piece of jewelry like that and leave it on the sink of a NYC restaurant of all places. You might as well leave your wallet there too. He's lucky an honest man picked it up and was honest enough to give it back. If I found it, he might not have been so lucky. Then again, Derek Jeter's last game does seem appetizing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment