About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Monday, October 14, 2013

REVIEW: NEW YORK CITY COMIC CON 2013

New York City's Comic Con is something that I look forward to every year. Call me a geek, call me a nerd, call me loser; I could care less. This place is like Disney World for all of us geek's, nerd's and losers. Last year, we only went for a day, and realized that if you want to see everything that Comic Con has to offer, you need to spend more than a day there. So, this year, we purchased 4-day passes, which was the length of Comic Con, but were only able ton attend  for three of the four days due to our work schedules. Because we missed the first day, we missed out on many of the exclusives the show had to offer, but there was still so much there.

New York City Comic Con has been sold out since April and one thing that we agreed on was that the  Cos Play costumes were above and beyond this year compared to last year. Some guy was dressed like the 1960's TV show Batman and his costume and gut were dead on! There was a set of twins that played Clark Kent and Superman that I thought was genius, and there was a guy who looked exactly like actor Simon Pegg, who dressed like three of his characters on three different days. The use of kids this year was amazing too! One family dressed like the Last Airbender, which I thought was hilarious. Laila said that she saw The Incredibles and we both saw one little boy, who was dressed like Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter and he looked like a dead ringer. I swear these Cos Play people must practice their poses in the mirror or something because anytime you asked if you can take a photo of them, they got right into their stances. It was great! Laila wants to dress like the Wonder Twins, but it will never happen because I cannot and will not wear tights. No way!

Another thing that I love about these Comic Book Conventions is the rarities that you can buy here that can't be found anywhere else. For instance, the artists this year were absolutely amazing. We must have spent a cool grand on artwork alone. There were some amazing comic book artists, but there were many independent artists there as well. It was just cool to be in one big room of creative people. There was so much to see in this artist alley that you can literally spend a full day going up and down each aisle, which we did. 

And no for my gripes about Comic Con. First of all, way too many people! Secondly, the panels and screenings were impossible to get into. We tried to get into the Walking Dead panel and there was a line around the building to get in for that. You would have literally had to wait there for 4 hours to get in. Why would I want to wasted 4 hours standing in a line? I think they should make you get first come, first serve tickets for the panels next year, or at least limit them. Another thing that really bothered me was the autograph signings, which is a big thing at Comic Con. This year, Anthony Daniels, who played C3-PO in Star Wars, was there, Sigourney Weaver, Sylvester Stallone, William Shatner, David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, Hulk Hogan, just to name a few. It's cool to see these people, but $500 for an autograph from Sylvester Stallone? Really? $200 for an autograph from Sigourney Weaver? I mean I like these actors, but an autograph? These actors are making hand over fist at these conventions. Last year, Carrie Fisher charged like $200 also and I thought that was ridiculous, but Stallone topped her this year.

All-in-all, I thought this year's Comic Con was fun and filled with some really cool things, but I'm not sure that I would do it again next year. The crowds were ridiculous. Everything seemed unorganized, but when I look back, I can't say that I had a horrible time. That's the sad part! I might say I won't be going next year, but that's what I said last year too!

No comments:

Post a Comment