About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Friday, May 9, 2014

STAY CLASSY PHILADELPHIA

      Okay, so back when I lost my job in radio back in 2009 and my fiancee and I made the move towards South Jersey near the Philadelphia area, I started to look for radio jobs in Philly. I figured it might be easier for someone with my skill set and my New York City radio background to land a job in another big city. I landed an interview with the Danny Bonaduce show and killed the interview only to have the Program Director tell me that I didn't know the Philly market well enough since I was new to the area. WHAT? I worked in New York City! I couldn't learn another big city market in the blink of an eye? Needless to say, that station flipped in under a year and is now a sports station. 

     Anyway, my point in telling you that story is that this Program Director was probably right! Apparently, I don't know the Philly market that well. It turns out; people in Philly are absolute animals! Residents in a hip Philly neighborhood are said to be fuming after a local radio station, Radio 104.5 WRFF, hosted an outdoor weekend concert where scores of drunken revelers were caught peeing in the streets and a teen couple was even caught on film having sex a few feet from where children frolic. 

     Locals in Northern Liberties said the radio station's summer block party at the Piazza at Schmidt's a large outdoor plaza, allegedly lacked security and portable toilets, causing hordes of rock fans to turn their yards and cars into open-air toilets. Sounds to me this was not a well-thought out event by Clear Channel, who is normally on top of their game. One mother of two, who lived in the central Philly neighborhood for four years, said she left Saturday's bash early because their were too many wasted teenagers. Wait! Wasted teenagers? So this radio station was condoning underage drinking? Wow! Once she got home, she spent the afternoon watching drunk fans relieve themselves on her home and car. She said, "I get that people pee in public, but hundreds of people peeing on your property, on your house, in front of your children? Girls were dropping their pants and peeing all over our property. It wasn't even five, it wasn't even ten...it was hundreds!" 

     The woman, who also works in marketing, blamed the radio station and the plaza owners, saying she counted only eight to ten port-a-potties for several hundred fans and it was more people she'd ever seen in the piazza. In addition to free music, some locals were treated to a live sex show. One neighbor filmed two young people having sex in a narrow walkway behind some condos near the plaza. The same woman said that the shameless couple ignored shouts to stop and went at it for some 40-minutes just feet from her backdoor. Wow! 40-minutes? That's a pretty long time. She must've been dealing with some whiskey dick!

     Clear Channel, my former employer of many years and owners of Radio 104.5, apologized for the attendees' piggish behavior, but then it became a blame game between the radio company and the property's management company. One party says they asked for more port-a-potties and security, while the other party says strict guidelines were not followed. If you ask me, it sounds like both parties are to blame because even from someone who doesn't know the Philly market that well, it sounds like one big unorganized clusterfuck! This never would have happened at a Clear Channel New York event and even if it did, heads would have rolled. There would be no blame game. Have some respect for people's property for crying out loud. The only cool thing to come out of this is the kids having sex in the alley way! Anyone have that video anywhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment