About This Blog....

Welcome to a blog that has become home of the stupid....And what I think about their stupidity.

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

IS OUR SOCIETY THIS SICK?

By now, we're all aware of the bombings that took place yesterday at the finish line of the 117th Boston Marathon. If you don't know what I'm talking about, get your head out of the sand and read a news story! What happened yesterday afternoon was absolutely disgusting and whoever is responsible will be brought to justice. By now, I've also heard all of the conspiracy theories about how it might've been a terrorist attack by Al-Qaeda again or even the North Koreans, but no one knows that for sure just yet. For all we know, it could've been a domestic bombing by some sicko who wanted to see bloodshed. 

I have to say, though, that the real sickos out there, besides the ones who set the bombs off, are the ones who within hours of the horrific bombings, registered domain names to apparently scam those who might offer financial aid to the victims of the bombings. I tell you within hours domain names like bostonexplosion.com, bostonmarathonvictimfund,com, and bostonrelief2013.com were among 20 websites registered on Monday and appeared to be geared towards raising money for the victims...Or were they?

Michael Berkens, an editor at The Domains, said, "While we don't know every registrants intention, we do know historically that many of the domain names registered immediately after were done to get traffic and make money parking domains or worse." Within minutes of the explosions going off in Boston, a fake Twitter handle, @_BostonMarathon, appeared and tweeted, "For every retweet, we will donate $1.00 for the #BostonMarathon victims #PrayforBoston." Within minutes? Really? I would start my investigation with whoever started that Twitter handle. 


Unfortunately, scams of these sorts are all too common following traumatic events like this. According to Blue Alert, an organization dedicated to the arrest of criminals who injure police officers, "If you receive a phone call for Donations for the Boston Explosion, it's a scam! Donate to the Red Cross." To be brutally honest, I don't trust the American Red Cross either. During 9/11, I raised money with a few local benefit concerts of my own and donated to them, but how can you ever tell that your money is going to the victims? I guess you have to go by a leap of good faith and hope that it goes towards that, but then you hear stories about Red Cross volunteers stealing money from the organization. All I'm saying it that I, personally, don't trust the American Red Cross, but if I had to trust somebody in a traumatic situation like this, I would trust them over any other money seeking website to help the victims from the Boston Marathon. That being said, God Bless the victims and prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones, especially the family of 8-year-old Martin Richard.

No comments:

Post a Comment